Xenogender is an umbrella term for non-binary gender identities that cannot be fully described through their relation to concepts typically used to describe genders such as male, female, woman, man, neutral, agender, etc. Instead, xenogenders can best be described through how they relate to things or beings that most individuals don't think of as having to do with gender, such as animals, plants, things, or concepts. The prefix in xenogender refers to the Greek word xeno- meaning 'strangeness', 'foreign', and 'extraterrestrial'.
Xenogender individuals often have a strong understanding of how their gender feels to them, however they often find that there aren't any words for their experiences, described as a lexical gap. In order to fill that gap xenogender individuals often describe their gender through metaphors, by saying their gender is like, is influenced by, or shares qualities with something else.
Xenogenders are often misunderstood and taken literally, causing majority of the controversy and confusion especially from normative communities. Another way to explain a xenogender is to compare it with existing normative genders. Such as: where femininity may represent a gentle nature, soft, smooth, and fragile, the same can be seen in flowergender as flowers match the same stated characteristics from femininity. In some cases, one would prefer flowergender over femininity as it highlights and accentuates those specific qualities, and excludes other feminine traits that do not accurately describe the individual.
Xenogenders often fall into one of three categories:
- Nouns and Archetypes: instead of saying how one's gender relates to masculinity and femininity, one says one's gender is, or is like, a kind of animal, an imaginary being, a part of nature, an abstract concept, or a symbol. These are called noungenders.
- Aesthetic and/or Synaesthetic Perceptions: when a gender is described using things like texture, size, shape, time, light, sound, or other sensory characteristics. These can often overlap with noungenders. These are called aesthetigenders.
- Neurotypes: when a neurodivergent individual's neurotype(s) is/are an inseparable part of their gender identity. These genders are exclusive to individuals of the neurotype(s) associated with them. These are called neurogenders.
Other categories of xenogenders include:
- Situations: when one's gender changes based on the situation. These are called mutogenders.
- Nonhuman Identity/kintypes: when an alterhuman's identification, nonhuman plural system member, or other nonhuman identifying individual's identification is an inseparable part of their gender identity or heavily affects or correlates to ones gender. These genders are exclusive to beings of the kintype(s) or similar associated with them. These are called alterhumangenders, kingenders or genderNH.
- Oneself: when one's gender is so much just them that no one else can even experience it. These are called nominalgenders.
The term xenogender was coined by Tumblr user Baaphomett in 2014, initially defined as: "a gender that cannot be contained by human understandings of gender; more concerned with crafting other methods of gender categorization and hierarchy such as those relating to animals, plants, or other creatures/things".
|Anthrogender||Opposite||Typical or normative gender constructs in modern society.||Xenogender is non-normative and/or atypical.|
|Meliusgender||Similar||Identifying as both xenine or anthrine genders.||Meliusgender includes non-xeno genders.|
|Xiaspec||Counterpart||Xiaspec is an umbrella term for anyone on the xenogender spectrum.||Xiaspec encompasses a collection of xenogender identities, whereas xenogender is commonly seen as a single gender identity.|
|Xingender||Counterpart||Xingender is an umbrella term for all genders which are xenine in nature (XIN).||Xingender is for genders that are in some way xenine (even if they are not xenogender or xenic in any way).|
|Xenby / Xenbie||-Enby / -Enbie||||Identifying as a xenic non-binary individual.||imoga-pride|
|Xenoboy||-Boy||||Identifying as a xenic boy/man.||variant-archive|
|Xenogirl||-Girl||||Identifying as a xenic girl/woman.||variant-archive|
|Xenoqueer / Xenqueer||-Queer||||Identifying as a xenic queer individual.||imoga-pride|
Prefixes and Suffixes
|Label||Prefix / Suffix||Flag||Description||Creator(s)|
|Demixenogender||Demi-||||Identifying partially as xenogender.||the-gender-collector-emself|
|Panxenogender / Panxenic||Pan-||||Identifying as all xenogenders.||the-gender-collector-emself|
|Paraxenogender||Para-||||Identifying mostly as xenogender.||Nxhilation|
|Xenofluid||-Fluid||||Identifying between multiple xenogenders.||logchamp|
|Xenoflux||-Flux||||Identifying as xenogender that fluctuates in intensity.||A long way down to the bottom of the river[sic]|
|Xenosoft||-Soft||||Identifying as a soft xenogender or xenity.||the-gender-collector-emself|
Flag and Symbols
The most well-known xenogender flag was designed by Pastelmemer and shared by Pride-Flags on DeviantArt, in 2017. It features 7 bands of colors, with most bands correlating with the hues present in iris flowers. The yellow was chosen to represent non-binary individuals, and the purple to represent androgynous genders. The symbol of Iris was chosen to coincide with the rainbow on the most well-known xenogender flag, as Iris is the Greek goddess of rainbows. Many xenogender flag variants often include the same symbol.
The simplified xenogender symbol was created by system-lgbt, representing a stylised form of the iris flower.
Another xenogender flag was created by Zer0Rebel4 which features the Iris xenogender symbol, as well as red, orange, and green shades.
- Baaphomett. "masterpost of genders coined by baaphomett" Tumblr, 2014, https://purrloinsucks.tumblr.com/post/95720973644/masterpost-of-genders-coined-by-baaphomett.
- "xeno-" Wiktionary, 17 Jan, 2023, https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/xeno-#:~:text=Having%20to%20do%20with%20foreigners,From%20a%20foreign%20place..
- "What you need to know about xenogender" LGBTQ Nation, 2 Mar, 2022, https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2022/03/need-know-xenogender/.
- "FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS" Xenogender, GenderHeaven, https://xenogender.crd.co/#anti. Accessed on 18 Feb, 2023.
- "Xenogenders: A Super Fast Explanation/Guide" The AVEN, 11 Oct, 2021, https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/219455-xenogenders-a-super-fast-explanationguide/.
- "Xenogender - What is it? What does it mean?" Taimi, 19 Dec, 2022, https://taimi.com/wiki/xenogender-what-is-it-what-does-it-mean.
- "Xenby/Xenoqueer Flags" Tumblr, imoga-pride, 29 Jan, 2019, https://beyond-mogai-pride-flags.tumblr.com/post/182391097335/xenbyxenoqueer-flags.
- "I made xenoboy and xenogirl flags" Tumblr, imoga-pride, 6 Aug, 2020, https://imoga-pride.tumblr.com/post/625701367845142528/variant-archive-i-made-xenoboy-and-xenogirl.
- "Demi-xenogender flag. Maybe… demix?" Tumblr, neopronouns, 11 Feb, 2020, https://archive.md/Ve5Kr.
- "Panxenic or panxenogender" Tumblr, the-gender-collector-emself, 19 Oct, 2020, https://archive.vn/YJDiV.
- "Paraxenogender" LGBTQIA+ Wiki, https://www.lgbtqia.wiki/w/index.php?title=Paraxenogender&oldid=195398. Accessed on 31 Aug, 2023.
- "Xenofluid" LGBTQIA+ Wiki, EnnelieSPF, 24 Jun, 2021, https://www.lgbtqia.wiki/wiki/Xenofluid?oldid=142793.
- "Xenoflux" LGBTQIA+ Wiki, lgbta, 19 Mar, 2021, https://www.lgbtqia.wiki/wiki/Xenoflux?oldid=85678.
- "Xenosoft:" Tumblr, the-gender-collector-emself, 22 Jun, 2020, https://archive.vn/RjoC4.
- "Xenogender (1)" DeviantArt, Pride-Flags, 15 Jan, 2017, https://www.deviantart.com/pride-flags/art/Xenogender-1-656548427.
- "Report of the Council to the Twenty-eighth Annual General Meeting". Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. 8 (4): 82. 1848. Bibcode:1848MNRAS...8...82.. doi:10.1093/mnras/8.4.57.
The symbol adopted for [Iris] is a semicircle to represent the rainbow, with an interior star and a base line for the horizon.
- "IRIS" theoi.com, https://www.theoi.com/Pontios/Iris.html#:~:text=IRIS%20was%20the%20goddess%20of%20the%20rainbow. Accessed on 31 Aug, 2023.
- "New Symbols For Use!" Tumblr, system-lgbt, 29 Jul, 2018, https://www.tumblr.com/system-lgbt/176383465712/new-symbols-for-use.
- "Xenogender" LGBTQIA+ Wiki, https://www.lgbtqia.wiki/w/index.php?title=Xenogender&oldid=193750. Accessed on 31 Aug, 2023.